Wednesday, April 9, 2008

WEEN Empowerment Gala

Gala Speakers
WEEN C0-Founders
Gala Participants
Procrastination is a big problem for me, but I could not allow another day to go by without talking about the awesome event WEEN held on Saturday, March 29th. The Get ‘Em Girls’ along with other fabulous women spoke at WEEN’s first Empowerment Gala for young ladies ages 15-20. I honestly thought that because I watch 106th & Park and I can do the Soldier Boy, I was in touch with the youth; however I could not be further from the truth. When I was young, I was allowed to be a child. I was carefree. The only time I was stressed was when I knew the phone bill was coming and my parents would see all of the phone calls I made down south to a boy I “thought” I was in love with (if only unlimited calling was available back then..lol). However, these young girls seem to have a lot of real life issues affecting them. They were very excited about this event. We talked to them candidly about our careers and also raffled off internships for the attendees. I left feeling empowered and sensing the urgency to get more involved with our youth.
Shakara

No comments: